Sunday, July 18, 2010

Good times

Life has to be full of fond moments and exciting times spent with family, friends, grandparents and loved ones. First day on your first job, an unexpected meeting of your childhood friend, first movie with your girlfriend, a romantic candle light dinner with your loved one... its wonderful how on such moments you feel the gush of emotions running right through you... and after many years it still gives you the feel as if it happened today.

One such memorable day that I wish to share was my first outing with Sindhu on my bike. Like any typical South Indian family, taking the girl out before being formally engaged is a strict no-no affair.. and like any typical pre-engagement boy and girl, we would be waiting to step out (Hehehehe... :)) But first time is always a first time, you are always in the dilemma whether to keep it chupa-chupi or let the elders know. After much thought (my Decision no.1) I decided to inform her dad on taking Sindhu out for a while. So I called her up and told her I would be there for pick up at 6PM IST... so that she would prepare the pitch, and all that I would need to do is to present myself in formal look (obviously not the MJ look and feel on the first visit).. exchange a few pleasentaries and ride away with the dream of my life. I was fully excited, got ready in no time, took my Fiero and zipped thru the traffic, only to find myself parking my bike at Sindhu's house at 7PM (late by an hour.. anyways IST is Indian Streachable Time and how can I not live upto the reputation that "guys" are never on time). Climbed the stairs to their first floor house with a bit of nervousness, but got a very generous warm  and a smiling welcome from everyone. Sindhu was inside dressing up for the outing.

Things were going as planned. Trying to keep the decent approach, I began a conversation with Sindhu's dad (hoping to end it soon and take Sindhu out asap). At first I was not even keen on listening, after a while I made an effort to listen to what was reaching my ears... Weather, coffee, job, Bangalore traffic, Metro, fuel prices... the talks never did seem to end. I too pitched in with a few comments here and there. Soon we ran out of topics... precious time.. God help me!!! Trying not to be rude or anything, I tried to close the conversation on a few occasions, but only to find another one starting.

I started getting restless, matters was slowly slipping out of my control, topics started repeating :'( .... I even tried to remain silent, hoping of some reciprocation. But my prayers to the God of Silence went in vain as the talks went on and on and on.. like Amaron battery. By now, each passing minute started to give me the feel of a day... thats when my Decision no.2 came.. I stood up on my feet, took the helmet in my hands, and said non-stop - "I think its getting late, we have planned to go out for a while, will be come back in an hour's time". Then there was silence. When you ask your fiancee out making the return time obvious for her parents is very important (not that you would take their daughter on a 6D/7N all inclusive trip to Kulu Manali, but just to sound responsible)... else forget even getting a shake of the head from her parents.  Finally after a few exchange of smiles... we left. There she was, sitting on my bike for the first time, and I was all in heavens :).... took her to a famous chat center in Gandhibazar, spent more than 2 hours chatting (lots of talks and samosa chats in-between).

Time just flew by, me and Sindhu met a few more times before getting engaged. Currently enjoying, the so called golden era (post engagement and pre-marital bliss). Suddenly weekends became more happening and full of fun (minus all the effort and the pain) :)

1 comment: